There world was a virtual world that was closed down several years ago but now is up and running again. I made a new account today and paid 10 USD to join the fun again. It is all very dated but have always loved the graphical look of There so I wanted to visit again.
At the time There had to compete with a very hyped Second life and also made a lot of mistakes. Remember this is the beginning of virtual worlds. Nobody knew how to run them.
In my mind There´s mistakes where that they did focus at a young group of users so it had to be fun and clean, no nudity. Today we know that most people that use virtual worlds are older and it is not always that “clean”. There did not let its users create what ever they wanted and on the other hand let everybody place stuff you could buy in any way they liked making the world cluttered and very ugly.
There did not have very much content making big areas totally abandoned and empty.
But There have a great physics system that make vehicles really drivable. And the world have a very clean graphic look as a ever lasting summer break. I think many grown up users would love a world like that today.
In today´s graphic environment with games like Guild wars 2 and some parts of Second life. Where the graphic work is very good.
I think There World stands out much better. It is not about, that you cant do better graphics it is a look and feel. And the physics make There ready for any game you can think of.
I have been looking for a world of my own to build. And as I cant get my hands on There Worlds code I suppose I have to write it myself. I be sneaking around There for a while stealing ideas or just hang out as before.
I you want to try out There you find it here http://www.there.com/
If you are using a modern op system like Win 8 you have to run the client in XP compatibility mode. Took me a while to figure that one out.
It is all very old you know.
About the Author
Virtual world artist and blogger. Developer of software and stuff. Read more at My blog
When i am inworld i use my Oculus rift so if i do not answer the chat it is because i cant see my keyboard. Try voice.
More articles from this author
- Action scripting
- Design work
- The landscape
- Media and advertising
- Brand management
- Run your own business
- The new Blender
- Scripting planes in Second life.
- Moving all Opensim databases to MariaDB
- Web templates on its way.
- Waiting for a new R.O.B.U.S.T server
- One of my fav designerd in SL
- The Mobius grid
- Poser 9.Playing around.
- Winter comes to Lendonia.
- Beginners by Cica Ghost
- Another transport for 2worlds2go logistics.
- Modern graphics ETS2
- Dark side of the Rainbow at – Kitely
- Another one for Cica Ghost. “Them”
- Haul to Linkoping
- New Update for Tower
- Finally solved the Webkit problem on Linux
- The 1920s Berlin Project - Weimar Republic role play sim
- Time to drive again.
- Todays company flight to Bergen.
- La Digue du Braek, Muppets Island
- Time again for the OCC2016
- New France expansion.
- X-mas flight 2016
- And a package delivery in a snowy Malmoe
- Evening Sky Aurora flight
- Beta testing MyWorld on Steam.
- Sorry about the downloads. :(
- Started working with the Bento avatar
- Driving the France expansion.
- Constantly exploring.
- Transfer content in virtual worlds
- ROMANVM that’s a great build.
- The view from my house
- Starting to work on AI for Opensim.
- Pride Second life
- Visited High Fidelity today.
- Started work on Opensim Lendonia again.
- First High Fidelity avatar.
- Finally i can talk about Sansar.
- The quality of things in Second life.
- Back in to Sansar. Today Bryn Oh.
- City of lost Angels
- Playing Adrift for a few hours.
- Euro truck simulator 2, TruckersMP, VorpX, Oculus rift
- Once more partying in Second life.
- Sorry about the mess with logins.
- ETS2 Italy expansion: great
- Grid jump to Tranquility Welcome
- Finally the simulator is up again.
- Easter once more in SL