The virtual calendar
To be honest I have not been around Second life much the last year. My 2worlds2go virtual company have been doing other stuff and I have a art and design company in RL that takes up my time.
I try to get inworld and check out some new place everyday but it is often only for fifteen minutes and then I have to do other stuff again. So today I decided to read and look at video and try to get updated on the world again.
So I went inworld to play some games and see if things have changed. After a few hours and stuck in a maze I think Second life is really well and will be around for a long time. More stable and a lot of new functions to build new experiences. I have done some driving and it is soon at the same level as it was when I first came to SL. Strange nothing can be done about this.
I have been testing a lot of new software the last months and I think I know why Second life will be around.
1: Content. There are some many talented creators and the new places are really good. When you see them thru the Oculus Rift you are amazed. No place have so much content as Second life. You can buy almost anything your avatar needs. No other world comes even close. Does Linden lab really think people will start all over again.
2: The tools are easy to use. Anybody can get in to creating. I was wrong about mesh. It looks great but make less people get in to virtual designs.
3: Standardization. You have a basic avatar that can be modified as you like. This makes it so much easier for content creators to do add-ons and clothes. Yes you can look like anything but people tend to look pretty much the same with a few personal alterations. If i buy a mesh avatar there will be others that look the same. We do not like that.
4: It is a world. You can walk on the continents. There are city's and beaches but it have the feel of a complete world. Yes you can fly, I think that’s overrated by the way, and teleport but the world is a place you understand. The most successful games and worlds looks close to RL. In WOW there is magic and monsters but the world is much like ours. It have also been around for a long time. Look at Active worlds, Blue Mars and Cloud party. Nice ideas but not worlds I want to spend a lot of time in.
5: People wants to have fun not be sys admins and run servers. This is why I think that Opensim and High fidelity got it wrong. I will pay to not run servers on my spare time I just want to go inworld and not care about the tech. There is money here.
If Linden lab is going to have any success with the new world they have to do some pretty amazing stuff. High Fidelity is far away from creating a world that is a contender. Opensim needs a central company to bind all the grids together. Unfortunately hypergrid is not enough.
No Second life is in good shape and that’s good news.
About the Author
Virtual world artist and blogger. Developer of software and stuff. Read more at My blog
When i am inworld i use my Oculus rift so if i do not answer the chat it is because i cant see my keyboard. Try voice.
More articles from this author
- Action scripting
- Design work
- The landscape
- Media and advertising
- Brand management
- Run your own business
- The new Blender
- Scripting planes in Second life.
- Free tool for your 3D needs.
- Moving all Opensim databases to MariaDB
- Web templates on its way.
- Waiting for a new R.O.B.U.S.T server
- Opensim conference:Looking good.
- Clubs in SL
- 2worlds2go in Second life starts to come together.
- One of my fav designerd in SL
- Now we make everything in Virtual worlds Oculus rift compatible.
- Visiting the Lost world on the Hypergrid
- The Mobius grid
- Star trekking on Tangle grid.
- A fast hypergrid trip to Francogrid.
- Poser 9.Playing around.
- Opensim conference: Impressions
- Opensim conference:What to wear.
- Why I want to make the world a better place.
- Another cool feature in Singularity.
- Caledon to get inspiration for new work.
- Opensim conference 2013 exhibit starts to look nice.
- Opensim conference 2013. 3D sketching.
- Time for snowy woods in Lendonia.
- Super cheap 3D for Second life. Wigglegrams
- A city,a city,a city
- Time for Love
- Winter comes to Lendonia.
- Why I stopped using Second life.
- Back to There World. A fun,fun,,day.
- Still people that write new useful apps for Second life.
- Black forest. Issues with concentration.
- What about that a new Xbox One.
- Lendonia. Mushroom forest.
- No need for a new hype in virtual worlds.
- More immersive virtual life without the Oculus Rift
- Going by train in Caledon.
- A new server for the Developer grid and expanding virtual life.
- The future of virtual communities.
- Building a virtual world.
- Time for another virtual year 2014.
- Some days it is nice to just sit in Second life.
- Do the trucking thing.
- Exploring route 12 in my truck or when Second life works.
- Driving in Second life or scrap the physics engine.
- Exploring There world
- The Cloud party build
- Moving or leaving. That’s the question?
- My fav art place in SL closing down. Avalon town.
- Aurora sim. Big areas to fly around in.
- Second life in my phone.
- At Burn 2. Another thing about Second life I like.
- Being a hypergrid explorer.
- Transfer from Second life to Cloud party.
- i am leaving Google
- Hypergrid soon to have the best builds.
- Summer of gaming. Will virtual reality work?
- On vacation in RL.
- The new hypergrid at 2worlds2go. Some help for the grid admin.
- High Fidelity is like the space program. Not for everybody but there could be spinoff effects.
- And so we recreate our self.
- Memory lane. Some of my builds still standing in SL.
- The Oculus, the brain and rides in Second life.
- Freedom of speech
- The new exhibition at Nilsart gallery. Tomais Ashdene.
- 2014 the year virtual reality changed forever.
- So what to learn from Opensim conference.
- First day at Opensim Conference
- New Oculus Rift project viewer for Second life. It rocks.
- Spending time in the Oculus Rift world. Many things tested.
- In to the void. Two days with the Oculus Rift.
- OSg7b, Talented builders, outdated graphics.
- Using Wordpress now and the blog lives on.
- Friday party at the OSGrid
- Ok my page is now using my SL name but the link does not.
- Without words.
- Opensim conference 2015
- The world turns even if I do not blog
- Beginners by Cica Ghost
- All over Second Life. No one there.
- Whats happening.
- Checking out the Great Canadian grid.
- Another transport for 2worlds2go logistics.
- Finally a new home in Second life.
- Hypergrid jump to Torino Italy.
- Hypergrid jumping to Sparkle
- Got my piece ready for OSG9B
- Modern graphics ETS2
- VR is all in flux
- Dark side of the Rainbow at – Kitely
- Another one for Cica Ghost. “Them”
- Avatarfest build. The Lions.
- Haul to Linkoping
- I just love the graphics in this game.
- New Update for Tower
- Burn 2016. Looks smaller somehow.
- Bought a new cool outfit to visit London
- Finally solved the Webkit problem on Linux
- The 1920s Berlin Project - Weimar Republic role play sim
- Shopping at the hypergrid
- Time to drive again.
- Todays company flight to Bergen.
- La Digue du Braek, Muppets Island
- Time again for the OCC2016
- New France expansion.
- X-mas flight 2016
- And a package delivery in a snowy Malmoe
- Evening Sky Aurora flight
- Beta testing MyWorld on Steam.
- Sorry about the downloads. :(
- Started working with the Bento avatar
- Driving the France expansion.
- Constantly exploring.
- Transfer content in virtual worlds
- ROMANVM that’s a great build.
- The view from my house
- Starting to work on AI for Opensim.
- Pride Second life
- Visited High Fidelity today.
- Started work on Opensim Lendonia again.
- First High Fidelity avatar.
- Finally i can talk about Sansar.
- The quality of things in Second life.
- Back in to Sansar. Today Bryn Oh.
- City of lost Angels
- Playing Adrift for a few hours.
- Euro truck simulator 2, TruckersMP, VorpX, Oculus rift
- Once more partying in Second life.
- Sorry about the mess with logins.