The virtual calendar
I have been doing a lot of research into virtual worlds and building and running some Opensim islands for many years. I have a virtual company that maybe should start to develop a new world. http://2worlds2go.com . Maybe, I am not that good programmer.
So what should a new world look like?
I have had a lot of inspiration from Opensim and Second life of course. Looking at statistics. Not many people around the world have the imagination for virtual world living. It’s a few present. It will grow.But slowly.
So nr 1: A new world should not be a toy. Running it on Ipads, webpages and android? No virtual worlds needs power and complicated software. PC and game consoles. Virtual worlds are only for the few so why bother with apps? People interested will buy a good machine.Leave the rest.
Things that was cool in the beginning.
Nr 2. No flying, no things hanging in the air, real physics. I think lot of the success of World of warcraft is that it is a world you can relate to. It looks real and feels real.The magic is optional. When thing do not work as in the real world it just gets us confused.
Nr 3: Landmass (this is technical) The land must be in the viewer. You could have updates. But putting it on your computer makes it very much more usable. You can drive and walk on it and it is better for ….
Takes us to
Nr 4: Physics. Also on your computer. Put it on the server is just stupid. It is your choice if your plane or sailboat should be real or maybe easier. Not everybody is a pilot or a captain. Physics is maybe the most complicated to implement.
Things I was totally wrong about.
Nr 5: Everybody should be able to build. I thought mesh would be a great thing in SL. I was wrong. It is to complicated. Why not use many more basic objects. They are very good for download times. Mesh,UVs are for pro´s. After mesh several great designer quit SL. Everybody should be able to create.
Nr 6: Gaming. Could work. But a virtual world is not a game. If you want MMOs there are many others to go to.
Of course all the thing we already do in virtual worlds. But partying and chatting gets boring after a few years. I think if you get people the ability to create they will do so. And it must be a open system for add-ons and plugins. I would really like t see what everybody will create in a real world. All the auto manufacturers came to SL but when the cars never worked it was bad marketing and they left. I have a game that is a dream for a car brand. And they are all there. What about a world like that?
And I think the idea to rent out land is dead. I think that the virtual world company's running the worlds can rent out land but the virtual world creation company must get another line of income.
Some thinking about what a world would look like.
Hope more to come.
About the Author
Virtual world artist and blogger. Developer of software and stuff. Read more at My blog
When i am inworld i use my Oculus rift so if i do not answer the chat it is because i cant see my keyboard. Try voice.
More articles from this author
- Action scripting
- Design work
- The landscape
- Media and advertising
- Brand management
- Run your own business
- The new Blender
- Scripting planes in Second life.
- Free tool for your 3D needs.
- Moving all Opensim databases to MariaDB
- Web templates on its way.
- Waiting for a new R.O.B.U.S.T server
- Opensim conference:Looking good.
- Clubs in SL
- 2worlds2go in Second life starts to come together.
- One of my fav designerd in SL
- Now we make everything in Virtual worlds Oculus rift compatible.
- Visiting the Lost world on the Hypergrid
- The Mobius grid
- Star trekking on Tangle grid.
- A fast hypergrid trip to Francogrid.
- Poser 9.Playing around.
- Opensim conference: Impressions
- Opensim conference:What to wear.
- Why I want to make the world a better place.
- Another cool feature in Singularity.
- Caledon to get inspiration for new work.
- Opensim conference 2013 exhibit starts to look nice.
- Opensim conference 2013. 3D sketching.
- Time for snowy woods in Lendonia.
- Super cheap 3D for Second life. Wigglegrams
- A city,a city,a city
- Time for Love
- Winter comes to Lendonia.
- Why I stopped using Second life.
- Back to There World. A fun,fun,,day.
- Still people that write new useful apps for Second life.
- Black forest. Issues with concentration.
- What about that a new Xbox One.
- Lendonia. Mushroom forest.
- No need for a new hype in virtual worlds.
- More immersive virtual life without the Oculus Rift
- Going by train in Caledon.
- A new server for the Developer grid and expanding virtual life.
- The future of virtual communities.
- Time for another virtual year 2014.
- Some days it is nice to just sit in Second life.
- Do the trucking thing.
- Exploring route 12 in my truck or when Second life works.
- Driving in Second life or scrap the physics engine.
- Exploring There world
- The Cloud party build
- Moving or leaving. That’s the question?
- My fav art place in SL closing down. Avalon town.
- Aurora sim. Big areas to fly around in.
- Second life in my phone.
- At Burn 2. Another thing about Second life I like.
- Being a hypergrid explorer.
- Transfer from Second life to Cloud party.
- i am leaving Google
- Hypergrid soon to have the best builds.
- Summer of gaming. Will virtual reality work?
- On vacation in RL.
- The new hypergrid at 2worlds2go. Some help for the grid admin.
- Getting to the bottom of Second life. This world will live on.
- High Fidelity is like the space program. Not for everybody but there could be spinoff effects.
- And so we recreate our self.
- Memory lane. Some of my builds still standing in SL.
- The Oculus, the brain and rides in Second life.
- Freedom of speech
- The new exhibition at Nilsart gallery. Tomais Ashdene.
- 2014 the year virtual reality changed forever.
- So what to learn from Opensim conference.
- First day at Opensim Conference
- New Oculus Rift project viewer for Second life. It rocks.
- Spending time in the Oculus Rift world. Many things tested.
- In to the void. Two days with the Oculus Rift.
- OSg7b, Talented builders, outdated graphics.
- Using Wordpress now and the blog lives on.
- Friday party at the OSGrid
- Ok my page is now using my SL name but the link does not.
- Without words.
- Opensim conference 2015
- The world turns even if I do not blog
- Beginners by Cica Ghost
- All over Second Life. No one there.
- Whats happening.
- Checking out the Great Canadian grid.
- Another transport for 2worlds2go logistics.
- Finally a new home in Second life.
- Hypergrid jump to Torino Italy.
- Hypergrid jumping to Sparkle
- Got my piece ready for OSG9B
- Modern graphics ETS2
- VR is all in flux
- Dark side of the Rainbow at – Kitely
- Another one for Cica Ghost. “Them”
- Avatarfest build. The Lions.
- Haul to Linkoping
- I just love the graphics in this game.
- New Update for Tower
- Burn 2016. Looks smaller somehow.
- Bought a new cool outfit to visit London
- Finally solved the Webkit problem on Linux
- The 1920s Berlin Project - Weimar Republic role play sim
- Shopping at the hypergrid
- Time to drive again.
- Todays company flight to Bergen.
- La Digue du Braek, Muppets Island
- Time again for the OCC2016
- New France expansion.
- X-mas flight 2016
- And a package delivery in a snowy Malmoe
- Evening Sky Aurora flight
- Beta testing MyWorld on Steam.
- Sorry about the downloads. :(
- Started working with the Bento avatar
- Driving the France expansion.
- Constantly exploring.
- Transfer content in virtual worlds
- ROMANVM that’s a great build.
- The view from my house
- Starting to work on AI for Opensim.
- Pride Second life
- Visited High Fidelity today.
- Started work on Opensim Lendonia again.
- First High Fidelity avatar.
- Finally i can talk about Sansar.
- The quality of things in Second life.
- Back in to Sansar. Today Bryn Oh.
- City of lost Angels
- Playing Adrift for a few hours.
- Euro truck simulator 2, TruckersMP, VorpX, Oculus rift